• Russ Bowlus
    Stobbart, Turner, and Hall in double digits in scoring. Trpcic and Stobbart the leading rebounders, and Trpcic the leading assister (assistant?). Stobbart with another four blocks in this game.
  • cmt
    Alright. Time to win 3 games in 4 days.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Elsewhere in the Big West, as noted previously LBSU whomped Irvine, Santa Barbara beat SLO, UCSD eked by Fullerton.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Let’s go take Vegas.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies had to grind this one out and their second half defense really put them in the position to win. It wasn't pretty but they got the job done.

One big area of concern with this team is that we aren't getting much of a contribution from the bench. 6 points total from our bench for both games and Hawaii's bench outscored us 20-0 tonight. We're pretty much relying on the starting 5 for the whole game. That could be a problem in the tournament.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I guess the BW title guarantees that we will at least play in the WNIT post-season if we don't win the BW Tournament.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Graduating two starters, so someone's definitely going to have to be stepping up next year. Harris looks pretty solid so far.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Here's the BWT bracket:
  • Russ Bowlus
    I still don't like that the Aggies will be playing on short rest after a HI trip. :meh:
  • Zander
    Ah yes the time-honored UCD WBB fan tradition of finishing our last game and then squinting at the bench and trying to figure out if UCD can win another title with the returnees.

At this point in time I don't think a lineup of Carreon/Turner/Harris/Konrad/Stobbart wins the BWC, but we don't need too many more pieces either. I think there was also high expectations that Gray would be one of the main forces off the bench, and so if she's back that's kinda a big deal.
  • cmt
    We're pretty much relying on the starting 5 for the whole game. That could be a problem in the tournament.BlueGoldAg

If we make it there, this could especially matter in the championship game when we’d be playing on back to back days.

Small sample but Hall was 20-37 from 3 this year but went 0-4 today and left 2 or 3 of those short. The general thought is that when you’re leaving shots short, you’re probably tired. I have no idea if that was the case for Hall tonight but she also missed 4 FTs after only missing 5 total coming into today.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Hall is probably the most fearless competitor on the team. She just competes HARD all the time. She brings so much energy to the team like crashing the boards and driving hard to the basket. I'd like to see her finish more of those drives to the basket though and not throw up an awkward shot but you can't fault her determination.

I thought both teams looked tired in the 4th quarter tonight especially the Aggies but they kept playing hard and got the win.
  • Zander
    Pretty legendary graphic from the Hawaii broadcast:

vckIrqc.png
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I honestly think a lineup of Carreon/Turner/Harris/Konrad/Stobbart will be favored to win it all again next year, especially when you factor in the consistent excellence of coach Gross and staff. There’s talent on the bench that will step up next year along with a couple of high level recruits. Konrad will step into the do everything Hall role, Stobbart will continue to dominate defensively and will increase her offensive production, Turner will be a league leader in points...I could go on but I think we’ve learned over the years that even as we graduate important players, the system keeps rolling along.
  • Zander
    Yeah, honestly, my expectations are probably getting influenced by this weekend's split. Turner was uncharacteristically quiet and had she been hitting her shots I probably would be singing a different tune about our non-senior output
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Yeah I totally get it. This was a rough weekend and I was impressed by the talent level at UH. They will be formidable in the tournament and certainly next year. I just think that our young players on the bench were recruited for a reason and once they get comfortable in our system, which can take a year or more for some, they will produce.
  • abridge
    Watching the Hawai'i series it looks like that left shoulder of Trpcic is weak. Passes made with her left didn't have the zip they have in the past. Hall struggled throughout the series. Tired? An injury? Difficult to tell. Good defense and Stobbart's ability to keep Hawai'i from scoring in the paint seems to have made the difference.

I wonder if they'll come back to Davis and then to Vegas or if they'll fly directly there. Removing a flight might be better for the team although you can't beat resting at home.

Not the greatest weekend for the women but definitely showed their grit.

Go Ags!
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Hawaii announcers said that the Aggies were flying directly to Las Vegas from Honolulu for the BW Tournament. I think that is the smart thing to do. It will give the Aggies some much needed time to rest and get their biological clocks reset for their early, 11 a.m. game on Wednesday.
  • DrMike
    I’m always puzzled when the one seed plays the brunch tip-off. Men did that a few years back and struggled with their first game
  • BlueGoldAg
    I agree. It's actually a bit of a penalty to play that early but I'll bet that ESPN thinks that the games with closer seeds will be more competitive so they want those games played later for possible bigger tv audiences.
  • cmt
    Women struggled a couple times also. 2017 they lost the early game and 2018 they barely won. But then 2019 they beat Irvine by 32.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I remember Les saying a few years ago that he would pick the early game because it would give us the longest layoff until the next days game. Of course that only matters if you win that first game.
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!